I would never ever have thought that I would be visiting Weimar more than once or twice. But with my boyfriend studying here it has become a regular weekend get-away destination for me. And honestly – I love this little city!
Therefore I’m really happy to share with you my ten favorite places around town.
1. Gelateria Giancarlo is probably the most amazing ice cream café I have ever been to. They have at least 50 different flavors every day and change them from time to time.
2. Goethes house – typical tourist destination but definitely worth a visit. Just seeing how much Goethe was collecting and studying is overwhelming.
3. The Bauhaus Museum along with the Bauhaus University is another aspect why Weimar is so famous.
4. Anno 1900 is a little restaurant located at the Goetheplatz serving delicious food – you will definitely love their menu!
5. The Anna Amalia Library should be at the top of your must-see list. The beautiful interior and the old books are just a feast for the eyes. In 2004 nearly everything was lost due to a huge fire – luckily the were able to save some famous pieces such as the first Luther Bible from 1534.
6. Franz & Willi is your place for some delicious burger, a clean interior and super nice service. Make sure to try cranberry mayonnaise.
7. The Park an der Ilm is the perfect escape for some fresh air and a relaxing afternoon in the sun.
8. The Hinterzimmer is a bar in Weimar where you can enjoy some cool drinks and talk to the local students.
9. Still needing a chic place to stay in town? Then I can warmly recommend the Weimar Design Apartments – clean and stylish they are the perfect weekend get-away. But be quick! They are regularly fully booked!
10. This is my latest addition on the Weimar list: Fama Café & Bücher. A small, cozy café where you can enjoy a delicious breakfast in the morning or some delicious cake in the afternoon.